AUTOMATED Curbside RECYCLING Program
IMPORTANT UPDATES TO CITY OF URBANA CURBSIDE RECYCLING SERVICE (AUGUST 2017)
1) The current contractor, Waste Management, will provide curbside recycling service through Thursday, August 31, 2017. On the last collection day, WM will collect any WM branded recycling toters currently being utilized by recycling customers.
2) The 18 gallon maroon bins will no longer be used after Thursday, August 31, 2017. They will be collected and recycled when placed curbside.
3) The new contractor, Rumpke will be converting the curbside recycling program to a fully automated program which will utilize 65 gallon carts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvpElHKTBHY. If you require a second cart, there is a $3.00 monthly rental fee for this cart. Please contact Rumpke by calling 1-800-223-3960.
4) During the week of August 28, 2017, a Rumpke contractor will be delivering new Rumpke branded, 65 gallon carts to all city addresses. The cart is assigned to the specific address where the cart is delivered, and the cart shall remain at that address. After the cart delivery process is complete, if a resident opts to not participate in the curbside recycling program, by ordinance, the applicable recycling fee will remain on the monthly utility bill. However, the resident may call Rumpke to request that the cart be picked up. Rumpke will not collect any unused carts until approximately 30 days after the first delivery. Residents are encouraged to utilize the program and the carts.
5) Starting the week of September 4, 2017 (Labor Day Week), Rumpke will begin providing curbside recycling service to city residents. Service will be provided on Wednesdays and Thursdays. Wednesday service will be provided to locations west of East Lawn Avenue and north of US 36 (Miami/Scioto). Thursday service will be provided to locations east of East Lawn Avenue (including East Lawn Avenue) and south of US 36 (including Miami/Scioto). Rumpke has recently mailed flyers to residents with their service date reflected on the mailer. Due to the Labor Day Holiday, Wednesday service will be moved to Thursday, and Thursday service will be moved to Friday.
Wednesday (Rumpke Mailer)
Thursday (Rumpke Mailer)
6) Under the new contract with Rumpke, the monthly cost for curbside recycling service will increase from $3.18 to $3.25 per month (effective with the September 2017 utility bill).
7) Through the city's contract with Rumpke, the city may be able to accommodate curbside recycling for businesses or multiple family residences. However, per city ordinance, recycling for businesses or multiple family residences is not required. In order to participate, the business or multiple family residence must receive a city utility bill. In addition, service has to be provided from the curbside and is limited to what can be accommodated with 65 gallon carts. For more information, contact Doug Crabill at email@example.com or 937-652-4305. The city will determine on a case by case basis if service is able to be provided.
2018 HOLIDAY SCHEDULE-CURBSIDE RECYCLING PROGRAM
**All curbside recycling service is provided on Wednesdays and Thursdays unless otherwise noted. If a holiday that is observed by Rumpke occurs, then curbside recycling service will be provided on the following business day for that holiday week. See the complete schedule below:
New Year's Day-Monday, January 1, 2018
-Wednesday service will be moved to Thursday, January 4, 2018.
-Thursday service will be moved to Friday, January 5, 2018.
Memorial Day-Monday, May 28, 2018
-Wednesday service will be moved to Thursday, May 31, 2018.
-Thursday service will be moved to Friday, June 1, 2018.
Independence Day-Wednesday, July 4, 2018
-Wednesday service will be performed on Thursday, July 5, 2018.
-Thursday service will be performed on Friday, July 6, 2018.
Labor Day-Monday, September 3, 2018
-Wednesday service will be moved to Thursday, September 6, 2018.
-Thursday service will be moved to Friday, September 7, 2018.
Thanksgiving Day-Thursday, November 22, 2018
-Wednesday service will be performed on the normal schedule.
-Thursday service will be moved to Friday, November 23, 2018.
Christmas Day-Tuesday, December 25, 2018
-Wednesday service will be moved to Thursday, December 27, 2018.
-Thursday service will be moved to Friday, December 28, 2018.
Recycling Program Statistics from 2011 can be found in the 2011 Recycling Report.
Recycling Program Statistics from 2012 can be found in the 2012 Recycling Report.
Recycling Program Statistics from 2013 can be found in the 2013 Recycling Report.
Recycling Program Statistics from 2014 can be found in the 2014 Recycling Report.
Recycling Program Statistics from 2015 can be found in the 2015 Recycling Report.
Recycling Program Statistics from 2016 can be found in the 2016 Recycling Report.
Recycling Program Statistics from 2017 can be found in the 2017 Recycling Report.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Recycling reduces the amount of waste in the landfill so that landfills last longer. Landfills are increasingly difficult and costly to site and construct. By preserving landfill space, recycling keeps the cost of trash disposal down. Another reason to recycle is to preserve the earth for future generations.
Set your cart at the street curbside, not in the alley. Place carts out before 6:00AM on your service day. In addition, for cart placement, follow these steps:
1) Place items inside the cart and close the lid.
2) Face the opening toward the street (face handle away).
3) Place cart within 3 ft. of the street and 3 ft. from objects.
Carts shall be placed curbside by 6:00AM. If the cart was placed at the curb by 6:00AM and it wasn't picked up, please call Rumpke by calling 1-800-223-3960 as soon as you realize the cart was missed.
If something is left in your cart, it is not recyclable. Put it in the trash.
No, you will not be charged for recycling. In addition, you will not be provided with curbside recycling pickup unless you contract with a trash hauler directly.
Not at this time. If you wish to sign up for curbside recycling, call the City at 937-652-4315.
Call 937-652-4315 and give us your address so we can check our records.
The first cart is provided by Rumpke at no charge. Additional carts may be requested for a rental charge of $3.00 per month per cart. This rental charge will be reflected on your monthly city utility bill. To request an additional cart, please contact Rumpke by calling 1-800-223-3960.
Please contact Rumpke by calling 1-800-223-3960.
Leave the cart for the next resident. The carts are the property of Rumpke, and they are assigned to a specific address.
Please contact Rumpke by calling 1-800-223-3960.
Recycling will be collected every Wednesday and Thursday (depending on your location within the city) with the exception of holiday weeks. If New Years Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving or Christmas Day occurs on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday, pickup will be delayed by one day. For weeks with holiday delays, Wednesday pickup will be delayed to Thursday and Thursday pickup will be delayed to Friday pickup.
In order to be sure that the cart will be picked up, the cart should be placed curbside by 6:00AM on collection day. Please don't set out the cart earlier than 6:00PM on the day prior to collection. Also, please remove your cart from the curb after collection.
The curbside recycling fee of $3.25 per month per residence (dwelling) will be on every monthly water bill. Shut-off bills will not contain a recycling fee.
If you shut off your water, which is recommended to prevent possible leak damage while you are gone, you will not be billed for recycling. If you leave the water turned on, you will also be billed for recycling.
If you don't live in a condominium, simply call the Utilities Office at 652-4315 a few days in advance of leaving and a few days in advance of returning. If you do live in a condominium, we can't turn your water off since the turnoff is on private property. You may come in and sign an exemption certificate before leaving, and we will not bill you for water as long as there is no usage. We offer these services free of charge.
No, Rumpke uses single stream recycling and no sorting is required. Combine recyclables unbagged in the recycling cart.
Cardboard, including boxes, should be broken down to fit inside the cart.
Not through the curbside recycling program. Kroger and Wal-Mart both accept plastic bags for recycling. Reusing is another option.
All numbers can be recycled. Containers used for paint, insecticides, pesticides, automotive products should be thrown in the trash.
Plastic lids are made from a type of plastic that no one wants to buy, and so they are not recyclable. Please discard them in the trash.
The curbside recycling program does not accept styrofoam of any kind. There are places that recycle polystyrene, like rigid packing foam. Mailing retailers will often accept packing "peanuts".
Yes, all food jars can be recycled.
In the fall, Urbana offers free leaf pickup. At other times of the year, Urbana residents may take leaves to the City of Urbana Compost Facility at 1261 Muzzy Road for free. At this facility, brush or garden waste can be disposed for a fee. Call 937-508-6405 first for hours.
Visit www.ncowaste.org for more information.
Visit www.ncowaste.org for more information.
Champaign County no longer holds a Household Hazardous Waste day each year However, proper disposal options are available. Visit www.ncowaste.org for more information.
My residence is a 3-Family or 4-Family residence but I am being billed for curbside recycling. What do I do?
Please call 937-652-4315 and give us all the post office addresses for your structure. We will check into it. If your residence is not a 1-Family or 2-Family structure, we will remove recycling charges.
Churches or businesses are not mandated by city ordinance to recycle. However, the City of Urbana is now able to offer recycling services for churches or businesses. Interested parties are asked to contact Doug Crabill at (937) 652-4305 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Some restrictions may apply to the availability of this program.
Curbside recycling is mandated only for 1-Family and 2-Family residences. The City may be able to provide recycling service for non-mandated residences, such as triples and multi-family. If you are interested in recycling service for triples or multi-family, please contact Doug Crabill at (937) 652-4305 or email@example.com to see if the city's program can accomodate your request.