- Grimes Field is a general aviation airport located one mile north of Urbana, Ohio on Route 68. Facilities include a 4,400’ runway with full parallel taxiway. Operations are supported by a GPS approach with vertical guidance and AWOS III weather reporting. Grimes Field is owned by the City of Urbana, but the Airport is 100% self-supporting, receiving no money from the City’s General Operating Fund. Grimes Field is managed by 1 full-time and 2 part-time associates.
- Grimes Field is included in the National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems and a member of the National Aviation Heritage Area.
- Grimes Field is home to several on-airport businesses including:
- Miami Valley Hospital’s Careflight
- Mad River Air Flight Instruction, Charter and Maintenance
- W & W Aviation Maintenance
- The Champaign Aviation Museum
- The Grimes Flying Lab Museum
- The Mid America Flight Museum of Texas “Restoration Wing”
- The Airport Café
- Services include a General Aviation Terminal building, Fuel Sales, Hangar Rental, Flight Instruction, Charter Operations, and Aircraft Maintenance.
- Currently there are 64 aircraft based at Grimes Field.
- The Champaign Aviation Museum continues to ‘re-build’ a B-17 bomber to flying condition. Approximately 75% of the parts are being built brand new from scratch, so they are actually building a new B-17.
- The Grimes Flying Lab Museum & Foundation preserves and maintains the legacy of Warren Grimes, who is widely considered the ‘Father of the Modern Aviation Lighting Industry’.
- The Mid America Flight Museum of Texas Restoration Facility currently is working on 2 projects, a 1929 Travel Air 6000 and a Stinson Model A Tri-Motor (The only existing one in the world).
- Grimes Field is the only airport in the United States with 3 museums on site and is a member of the National Aviation Heritage Area (NAHA)
- Grimes Field, along with its related events has an Economic Impact equivalent to 56 full time jobs with an annual payroll of $1,038,600, equaling $3,407,500 in output. (data from 2013 ODOT aviation study – study will be updated in 2020/2021).
Hours of Operation
Tue. - Sat: 8:00AM to 4:30PM
Sun. & Mon: No scheduled hours
(Weather, current fuel prices, etc.)
Tue. - Sat: 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Closed Sunday, Monday & Holidays.